Gale heads the firm’s Corporate Law Department. He has spent his entire legal career representing businesses and business owners. In addition to general corporate and business formation and counseling, he has extensive experience in all forms of corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, and restructurings. He has been lead counsel in several complex refinancing transactions, including venture capital investments.
Gale’s practice is national in scope. In addition to numerous local and regional clients, he is general counsel for, or otherwise works with, companies and other organizations operating throughout the U.S. Much of his work involves international transactions. Technology has eliminated barriers that at one time limited an attorney’s ability to effectively work with clients in other parts of the country and other parts of the world. He enjoys being able to offer clients “big city” talent and capabilities with attentive service and at Dayton rates.
Gale also represents single employer and multiemployer pension funds, with an emphasis on Department of Labor compliance, fiduciary responsibility issues, and Qualified Domestic Relations Orders. His book, Assigning Retirement Benefits in Divorce, is in its second edition.
Intellectual property law is a large part of Gale’s practice. For many years he has represented a software development company that has created and licensed numerous consumer software products that have been distributed worldwide. He also counsels companies in the development, registration, and protection of trademarks and service marks.
Another focus of Gale’s practice is export control law. He works with clients that export or otherwise send out of the country products and technology that can have military application to ensure compliance with the various laws and regulations relating to export control, such as the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). For many years he has represented a software development company that has created and licensed numerous consumer software products that have been distributed worldwide. He also counsels companies in the development, registration, and protection of trademarks and service marks.
In all of his work with clients, Gale’s communication skills and his knowledge of his clients’ business and objectives makes him an effective “quarterback” in bringing together resources and other service providers on the client’s team to ensure a cohesive, efficient, and effective plan.
Although he enjoys every aspect of his practice, Gale gets the most satisfaction working with entrepreneurs (budding as well as experienced). He has become a trusted advisor (legal and otherwise) to business owners, assisting with all forms of business-related issues and activities. He finds as much satisfaction in helping to decide what to do and how to do it as in preparing the documentation or other work product. He knows that clients want more than an explanation of their options. They want guidance. He listens to the client, considers the options, and provides direct advice about how to proceed. Also, he loves sorting through complicated problems and issues and explaining them in a way that makes sense to non-lawyers.
If asked about his most rewarding experiences as an attorney, Gale does not think in terms of the complex, multi-million dollar transactions that he has handled. Instead, he cites examples such as the following:
- When he asked a referred, prospective client if she wanted to interview him before retaining his services, she said, “John told me that I can trust you with my life, and that is good enough for me.”
- A long-time client was once asked how she was able to deal with all of the issues and “headaches” associated with running her extensive business operations. She replied, “I don’t worry about anything because I know that Gale worries for me.”
- A business owner and client explained to Gale once that “if we know of anyone who needs legal services, you are the one we recommend. Honestly, we do not trust anyone else.”
Gale is a drummer and loves playing classic rock with his band, Low Road. He is also a cycling enthusiast.
- The Ohio State University, B.A.
- University of Dayton, J.D. (Legislation Note Editor, University of Dayton Law Review)
- Represents and counsels clients regarding corporate and business matters, business organization, corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, regulatory compliance, financing, and employee issues
- Assists business owners understand legal/business issues
- Negotiates and drafts complex contracts, including commercial leases and licensing arrangements
- Represents boards of trustees of pension funds
- Works with companies to help them comply with export control laws, such as the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), including drafting compliance manuals and training staff
- Represents companies that work under government contracts on the federal, state, and local levels
- Advises on general regulatory compliance matters
- American Bar Association
- Ohio Bar Association
- International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans
- Society for International Affairs.
- Dayton Bar Association
- Licensed in Ohio and Missouri
- Admitted to U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Designated Ohio Super Lawyer by Law & Politics Media, Inc., 2006-2009